Sebastian Inlet Heartbreak

Discussion in 'East Coast - Saltwater Pier, Jetty & Harbor Report' started by Sinker, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Sinker

Sinker Moderator

OK, so I am sitting in my office working when my son walks in sporting some Get Bent Sportfishing Head Gear.

[​IMG]

Well this just kinda put me in the mood to go fishing.

So I head to the inlet and arrive during an incoming tide.

Worked some plastics for a few hits but no hookups till this one (not even sure what it is), looked like a real big Pin Fish or something.

[​IMG]

Well this is not what I was after but at least NO SKUNK so I continue and land a Snook right after Twister shows up. Not big but a Snook so happy.

[​IMG]

We moved out to the main jetty where Bill hooked up a number of times and I just gave bucktails to the inlet. Eric from Strike Zone was there and slaying the fish, Snook and Red Fish and big ones at that.

Finally offered up enough jigs so went back to the Cat Walks for two more small snook.

Talked to a couple of guys and decided I would head back out to the long jetty.

Produced two more good sized Snook but no Reds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Messed around some more when it happened.

Something big hit and peeled line off the reel like it was nothing.

Had lots of 40# braid loaded on my Stella 4000 so wasn't to worried. Thought maybe it was a Big Red Fish until in the moon light we saw a silver bodied fish jump.

YES - a Tarpon. I have hooked many but landed none.

So the fight goes on, this is a nice sized Tarpon. Not huge but good size and definitely the biggest fish of the night.

Feeling pretty good about things as this guy is not spitting the hook even during the jumps.

Finally got him to the edge of the jetty and looked as though I had Finally landed my first Tarpon.

I had my hands full with this guy along with the current, waves and now the net as well.

Got the net down and about lost the rod so grabbed it a bit higher to get enough leverage to bring the fish to the net.

Well, my heart broke as a SNAP was heard down the jetty.

Seemed my trusty rod had had enough and broke into a number of pieces and the Tarpon disappeared into the depths.

So I STILL have not landed a Tarpon although came very VERY close tonight.

Of course no picture of the Tarpon but here is one of my rod

[​IMG]

Yes my nice flame job 8' inlet rod is no more. In fact I now no longer have a decent inlet rod.

The night was going so well and ended so bad.

Oh well, another time perhaps.

2. Carnivore

Carnivore Moderator

Well that blows big time. At least you had a killer fight for the night. Better luck on the tarpi next time.

3. wils

wils Well-Known Member

Having a rod fail with the fish at the boat - when you were going to C&R anyway - is nothing to be sad about. Call it a "rod assisted C&R"...and let Joey cry about "no pics". LOL!!!!

I've had LMB break my rod at the boat but never have I seen a rod snap in so many places all at once....... :uhoh:

4. Brad100

Brad100 Well-Known Member

Broken rod...

Broken rod = great story! Priceless!! :clap:

5. beacondawg

beacondawg Well-Known Member

Tim my friend, i will not get on ya bro about the mysterious broken rod. A tarpon you say? HUMMMmmmmmm! (hahahahahahaha) sorry bro I just had to. glad ya got out and stuck a few. That tarpon must of looked great coming out of the water at night. Was there a moon to light it up as it tailed walked??

6. Sinker

Sinker Moderator

Wills, it was all my fault actually. The Jetty is kind of like a pier. I had lowered the landing net into the water and grabbed the rod about 3/4's of the way up the blank to get the leverage to bring the fish into the net. Couldn't hold the line as I use braid and it would have cut me deep (made that mistake long ago heheehe).

It put to much strain on it, basically like high sticking it but even worse as I changed the flex point by where I grabbed the rod.

Tough having a good sized fish (60+ pound estimated) and have to try and net it in rough seas from 40 feet up. Oh well. I admit I made a rookie mistake.

Time to see if I can talk Flipper into building me a new Inlet rod. I know the blank I want to use, it is a GUSA Wahoo rated 30 to 80, is 8' and super light, just the ticket I am thinking - well, maybe.

The rod was probably 20 years old and has been fished so many times it is pathetic. One of those good ole lucky rods that you just never want to get rid of and always take out. It had caught hundreds if not over a thousand fish so guess I can't complain to much - I just miss it already :crying:.

I should have gotten pictures of the fish Eric was catching as they were HUGE 20 to 30 pound class range and he kept bringing them in one after the other. That guy is a great fisherman and I learn from him every time I see him out there. Luckily he freely gives me advice, nice guy for sure.

7. wils

wils Well-Known Member

Now I understand the hoop net being used.

8. Randy Stinchcomb

Randy Stinchcomb Well-Known Member

Great Report Tim:notworthy: atleast you got into some action:cool2: sorry about the rod, when and where is the viewing:crying:

9. FishersDad

FishersDad Banned

No assist from Bill?..........

10. sourcreamnjive

sourcreamnjive Well-Known Member

Sorry about the Tarpon and even more the rod........you just got to get a hold of Flipper when he's not doing anything.......which is all the time! LOL!:rofl:I'm still waiting for him to kit a rod for me..........:dunno:

11. Jackpot

Jackpot Well-Known Member

HEEEEE HAAAAW!

miniature-donkey-0015.jpg

12. Sinker

Sinker Moderator

You saying I'm a Jackass ???

Good talking to you the other night - well, your machine heheehe

13. Jackpot

Jackpot Well-Known Member

Nah, that's the "you just farmed one" response among the crew these days... seems we're saying it to Joey all the time. ;)

14. Sinker

Sinker Moderator

Ahhhh. I couldn't have complained anyway as it was kind of a Jackass move on my part.

15. Twister

Twister Well-Known Member

I had fun, My arm is so sore today almost could not type. Wish I would have stuck around to see Tim Cry, oh well. Tim you forgot to mention the giant TROUT I caught last night. :yanker::rofl:

16. Sinker

Sinker Moderator

I got that pic on the computer somewhere

17. ODH33

ODH33 Moderator

you'll land that tarpi yet Tim.