One for the Smoker

Discussion in 'Freshwater Reports' started by stubbs, Nov 15, 2011.

1. stubbs

stubbs Well-Known Member

So as usual I've been working a lot of weekend as well the wine industry is pretty busy. Couple that with some vacation/trips and the fact that I found a small aluminum boat for cheap I haven't gotten much fishing time. I was able to change that up a bit this past weekend.

This year the salmon run on the rivers has supposedly been epic. I've been reading numerous reports with people nailing them of kayaks and I haven't been able to get out. So finally had a day free and called a buddy from work who was in so off we went.

We ended up launching off the American River in Sacramento....I think we pulled in super early like 9:30-10:00am and there were a number of boats/yaks on the water. We loaded up and took off. They have a pretty decent ramp.

[​IMG]

I had read some reports and looked at a number of photos so had a general idea where to try first. We paddled a ways up river and I guess the recent rains helped keep the water up pretty good. It was still a nice peaceful paddle which is surprising since you are in the middle of Sacramento.
    [​IMG]

Again reading the reports it seemed that roe was good as well as flatfish and of course the standard spinners. I had a few spinners from when I was in Alaska so I stuck with those all day.

About two hours of paddling/drifting and seeing a number of salmon roll, it was getting a little frustrating. I was winding in and had only about 15 feet of line out when I get ripped hard. Woohoo fish on as I see the sucker just take off.

We were fishing near another guy who was anchored who actually took a few "action" shots so that was pretty cool.

[​IMG]

It keeps dragging me down and awfully close to some fallen trees but I manage to keep it in the open. As I get it close I realize I have a big problem. My net which was a small collapsible one is too small. This is gonna be tough. I took a swipe with the net and of course miss and it takes off for another run.

[​IMG]

I'm trying hard to turn its head into the net here.

[​IMG]

Finally I manage to net half and flip it into the boat. Victory!

[​IMG]

I've drifted a ways down and try to get a photo shot with not much success. Here is a better lap shot.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately as you can see its not a fresh silver fish. I remember when I was in Alaska these were the fish you avoided. The guy that took the photos said that it would still be good so I figured I would keep it. I also figured after the fight it probably wasnt in the best of shape.

My first American River Chinook!
    [​IMG]

We ended up fishing the area for another couple hours with no luck. We went down a bit and again encountered nothing. It sounds like I was fortunate for the day since no one else we talked to caught anything.

At the car I put it on the scale and it was just shy of 18 lbs. (pardon my buddy's butt)
    [​IMG]

I took the fish home and when I cut it open still had fresh orange meat and was still firm. I ended up smoking it and it was delicious. Makes me mad that I had to get in at the end of the season....

Here is what the fish bit on. A Mepps Flying C that I had picked up in Alaska. Caught it on one of my favorite set ups....Daiwa CVX and a cheap Ugly stick....This set up has caught a ton of quality fish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jodi805

jodi805 Well-Known Member

great pictures!! awesome job!!

3. creekster

creekster Well-Known Member

Bitchen report Jeff! Great catch ...pics are too cool...

4. Carnivore

OH VERY NICE!!! That is going to be great smoked, congrats.

5. wils

wils Well-Known Member

Sound like a lot of fun, Jeff.
    "we're gonna need a bigger net". Ive heard that before. I'm glad yours ended successfully.

that water looks like it could hold some bassies, too.

6. Carpfisher

Carpfisher Well-Known Member

Thanks for such an awesome report,
    A good report always makes me want to go fishing....this is one of those

7. beacondawg

beacondawg Well-Known Member

Dam jeff good job my brada,I remember my first 1 I caught was at Nimbus dam.

8. potto

potto Well-Known Member

Great catch.

Good to hear from you again.

9. Big-D

Big-D Well-Known Member

Nice report and some great pictures, thanks..........................................

Big- D and the Dog

10. HillTop

HillTop Well-Known Member

beautiful recounting and photos, epic score for sure!
    thanks for sharing and congrats

11. BlackRifle

BlackRifle Well-Known Member

12. VCDodger

VCDodger Member

kool aid man says "OOOHH YEEEAAAHHHHH!!"

Great job on that fish. Awesome report

13. saba

saba Well-Known Member

14. YakSailor

YakSailor Well-Known Member

Great story with pics! That's a heckuva nice fish to catch without having to surf launch.

15. walkerman

walkerman Well-Known Member

Well, how was it to eat? Was it too mushy from being in fresh water so long?

16. stubbs

stubbs Well-Known Member

i thought it was gonna be mushy, but actually it was firm meat and good....