New to Kayak Fishing Santa Barbara/ Goleta

Discussion in 'The Yak Shack' started by connor016, Apr 20, 2010.

1. connor016

connor016 New Member

So I came across this forum and it seems like there are a decent amount of people from Santa Barbara area. I have done some fishing from Goleta pier and a little fishing from an inflatable kayak when I didn't have any storage. I moved into a bigger place and came across a good deal on a Hobie Mirage Outback that I am eager to get out to test out for some fishing.

I heard some good spots are Haskell's beach and Naples reef. Do you guys suggest some other areas or any advice for these spots? Also what is the beach access like for Haskells? Does the Bacara provide parking?

I want to try to get out there this Sunday so if anyone ever wants to meet up for some fishing that would be great. For some reason the gf does not enjoy it haha.

2. saba

saba Well-Known Member

The santa barbara harbor is loaded with halibut and leadbetter beach is a good spot for bass and rockfish. I will be fishing that area this saturday and then on monday.

3. Semper Fi

Semper Fi Well-Known Member

Conner, Myself, Oscar A and his little brother cruise out mostly on Thursday and Saturday mornings around 0715. We mostly launch from the Harbor / Ledbetter until the water warms up a bit. Goleta is an easy launch, Carp is pretty rough. For beach launches I highly advise you to get a leash for the Mirage drive $20 to save a $400+ piece of equipment is well worth it. See a guy by the Name of Day out at Paddle Sports in Carp. Definetly plan on hitting up Naples and some other spots in the future. Richard, send me a pm the night before the days you cruise out to the SB area.

4. saba

saba Well-Known Member

sounds good.

5. connor016

connor016 New Member

Yeah I have the drive system tied off now but will need to get some leashes for the poles as well. Any gear for the outback you would highly recommend? I am busy during the weekdays but maybe I could make it out sometime Saturday with you guys if you don't mind....will probably go to Haskells Sunday for a bit just to get a feel for the kayak and any other gear I might need

6. sb tuber

sb tuber Well-Known Member

ur doing out

i will see u their going out for a few hrs what time u going i be their soon as sun comes up or early er for the sea bass if any yet locked and loaded :rockon:

7. Herbo

Herbo Well-Known Member

Hi Conner! I know you are North of here, but have you tried some of the other kayak web sites? a good source of info can be found on fishingkayaks.net.....:cool2:H

8. LewisOnTheTrack

LewisOnTheTrack New Member

I live in Santa Barbara, let's go out when conditions/season gets better

9. hunterJ

hunterJ Member

Stayed around that area for couple of days. Nice place!