Lures from the surf

Discussion in 'West Coast - Saltwater Surf Reports' started by newfish123, Mar 17, 2015.

1. newfish123

newfish123 Active Member

What are some good lures in the surf for halibut? I'm shying more and more away from bait and am starting to like to throw artificial.

2. ODOGFISH

ODOGFISH Well-Known Member

... Lucky Craft , Rapala , crocks , swim baits ... good luck !

3. GoletaLocal

GoletaLocal Member

I do not speak from personal experience as I am very new at halibut surf fishing. I have heard that the Lucky Craft Flash Minnow 110 or the Lucky Craft Surf Pointer series work extremely well(If you don't mind spending $20 on a single lure.) I've also been recommended the Rapala XR 10($10?) And then there are swimbaits, I've read a few articles saying the 3 inch Big hammer in Sea Wolf or Walleye Wacker color is the way to go. Good luck man! Make sure to post a report.

4. SnickSnack72

SnickSnack72 Well-Known Member

My best luck has been on redrum, CI chovy and green sardine 3 inch big hammers. I have also done well with Rapalas and I bet the new shadow rap would be great. I have even caught a few on huddleston BBZ lures. Crocodiles work if you drag em on the sand. My buddy swears by carolina rigging frozen anchovies and working them like a bass rig. Good luck! I use to have tons of luck during the spawn at kiddie beach and behind the rudder room, but they had the dredge there last time I was home