@$$ Kicking Report Sebastian Inlet 6/1/05

Discussion in 'East Coast - Saltwater Pier, Jetty & Harbor Report' started by Sinker, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Sinker

Sinker Moderator

[​IMG]
    FISHING REPORT
    [​IMG]

<TABLE class=MsoTableGrid style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; mso-yfti-tbllook: 480; mso-padding-alt: 0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><T>
    <T>
    <TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 0">
    <TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 1.2in; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8" vAlign=top width=115>
    <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">City &amp; State:[/B]</TD>
    <TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 11.8pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8" vAlign=top width=16>
    </TD>
    <TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 344.6pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8" vAlign=top width=459>
    Sebastian, Florida</TD></TR>
    <TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 1">
    <TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 1.2in; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8" vAlign=top width=115>
    <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Date:[/B]</TD>
    <TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 11.8pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8" vAlign=top width=16>
    </TD>
    <TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 344.6pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8" vAlign=top width=459>
    Wednesday, June 1, 2005 till Thursday, June 2, 2005</TD></TR>
    <TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 2">
    <st1:personName><B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Tim[/B]</st1:personName><B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">e:[/B]</TD>
    </TD>
    9:45 PM 6/1/2005 to 3:00 AM 6/2/2005<st1:personName></st1:personName><st1:personName></st1:personName></TD></TR>
    <TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 3">
    <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Location:[/B]</TD>
    </TD>
    South Jetty</TD></TR>
    <TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 4">
    <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Conditions:[/B]</TD>
    </TD>
    Warm - Tee Shirt weather, Water temp in the 70's, Overcast, slight breeze, outgoing tide</TD></TR>
    <TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 5">
    <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Tide:[/B]</TD>
    </TD>
    High 6:47pm 0.1' - Low 1:04am -0.1<st1:personName></st1:personName></TD></TR>
    <TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 6">
    <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Moon Phase:[/B]</TD>
    </TD>
    Waning Crescent 24% full</TD></TR>
    <TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 7">
    <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Rod &amp; Reel:[/B]</TD>
    </TD>
    (1) Crowder Rod with Shimano Baitrunner 6500B &amp; (2) Penn Sabre Rod with Penn Senator 4/0</TD></TR>
    <TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 8">
    <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Rigging[/B]</TD>
    </TD>
    (1) 65# Power Pro mainline with 400lb Leader and 10/0 hook - (2) 50# Mono mainline with 400lb Leader and 10/0 hook</TD></TR>
    <TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 9">
    <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Bait[/B]</TD>
    </TD>
    Frozen lady Fish and live catfish</TD></TR>
    <TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 10">
    <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Catch:[/B]</TD>
    </TD>
    Same ol story here </TD></TR>
    <TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 11; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes">
    <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Comments:[/B]</TD>
    </TD>
    The Short &amp; Sweet Of It - Got Schooled - lost 300 yards of 65# Power Pro with my leader and hook, fried my drags, burned my hand and have sore arms. No Pictures
    Long Version - Went out with one thing on my mind - Sharks and BIG Bull Reds. Brought out some decent sized gear and two large lady fish for bait (cut one in half and the other into thirds). Hit the outgoing tide well so got some good balloon drifts. When I got there I met a man on the Jetty named Mike, nice guy and we talked a bit through out the night, he also gave me some live catfish for bait when I needed it.
    There were also two other guys out on the rocks who were very kind in pulling in their lines so that I could cast out for a drift.
    Started with outfit (1), first drift nothing, went back out on the rocks and the guys let me cast out again for drift two. Very kind of them as this just does not usually happen. While this drift was out they decided to call it a night and head home. I used this opportunity to reel in and get a good cast into the stream for a good drift.
    The cast was great and the balloon drifted quickly out to sea. Walked back up to the Jetty and stuck the rod into my pier cart and started talking to Mike.
    Wasn't long and the rod got bit and went bendo with line peeling. I palmed the reel to put on some pressure and took of the baitrunner to get the set drag on this bad boy. Didn't seem to help much as the line kept going. I palmed the reel again and burned my hand from the reel still spinning - The Wrong Damn Way. Mike and I watched as the rod tip bent and line went off the reel. I even tightened the drag down all the way (usually I loosen the drag as line come off but this guy was having me for lunch. There were times when I could hold him at a stale mate (or maybe he just let me). Still had a good amount of line on the reel when he took off hard and I saw the chrome color of the spool through the last bit of Spectra. One more final burst and only the knot to the reel was left and not for long as it gave to the heavy beast. I hate to say it but something out there is dragging along 300 yards of my power pro - hope the hook rust out quickly.
    Well now I am left with using setup (2)Number of drifts went out with bite and shredded baits coming back in but no solid hookups.
    About 6 drifts later I hook up and the fight is on. Although a smaller beast on the other end still a good fight and I could stale mate him and even get some turns on him that I couldn't with the first monster. Actually made some good line recovery and was stale mated again when the hook was spit - what the heck this bad boy was on for over ten minutes and then can spit the hook - weird.
    Although I was successful in some more hits no more hookups. So I came home with my tail between my legs, an empty spool and the plan to get a 6/0 today or a new rod for the 9/0 as I looked at it last night at all the roller guides are frozen solid. Corrosion-X did nothing to loosen them and the screws will not come off. I just can't see dropping $250.00 on a rod from Outer Banks although I am still considering it.
    Something has to change as I am starting to feel I can't get these guys anymore unless they are 6' and under but I want a BIG ONE the one that keeps embarrassing me and showing me whose boss.
    I'll be back out there again, maybe tonight, maybe tomorrow but I am ready to fight.

Boys - LETS GET IT ON as I am coming properly equipped next time...</TD></TR></T></T></TABLE>
    [​IMG]

2. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Well-Known Member

CRAZY! Now THAT is fishin! Glad you had fun out there tim. Now you know what you need to do/bring...DO IT! :)I cant wait to see pics of whatever the hell you have been fighting.

3. Gordo Grande

Gordo Grande Well-Known Member

Here's my theory on fish that break off with a lot of
    line attached: I think they probably swim around trailing all that
    line, and it eventually snags somewhere on a rock, kelp, reef, or
    whatever. The fish is now "hooked," but there is no tension on the line
    from a bent rod. It probably then thrashes around a bit, and easily
    throws the hook.

Or, at least I'd like to think that's what happens. </font>

4. Joey805

Joey805 Administrator

Hey Tim,

How many times are you going to go down there and get spanked like that? Bring out the big guns and show them who's boss!

These sharks are making ya look bad man :D

5. Joey805

Joey805 Administrator

One more thing, I would take that kind of action overfishin batrays at the rudder room anytime!

6. ODH33

ODH33 Moderator

oh wow Tim. Glad you got out there and got to battle some fish. sorry to hear about the spectra. Breakout the big toys and go land that beast.

7. Sinker

Sinker Moderator

LETS PARTY
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    OK, lets go get this done. I'm bringing out the new 6/0 reel (loaded with 300 yards 80# spectra and top shot of 80# mono) matched with a new STAR ROD and THE BAD BOY the 9/0 reel (loaded with 100# mono)(my Dad gave me this reel &amp; a rod but the rollers would not longer roll) matched with a new STAR ROD as well, a hole 5'6" of stick to whoop @$$.
    Joey you said it - I am tired of putting up posts about getting spanked. I just loaded that other reel with new 65# spectra and now it's all gone.
    Oh yeah - those leaders are wrapped wire cord rated at 900#'s, the swivels are rated at 950#'s and the hooks are single forged Mustad Salt Water 7731AD hooks in 12/0 size. Notice there is no curled end at the eye, it is just a single piece of metal that will honed to a razors edge.
    Think I'm ready so
    LETS DANCEEdited by: Sinker

8. Joey805

Joey805 Administrator

Dont forget your fight harness! LOL

Go get'em!

9. BlackLion

BlackLion Well-Known Member

Tim,

That is just way too cool!! Man I wish I could be there just to see these battles as they unfold! I can't wait to see that report that will probably be titled with something like "YES, I WIN!!" or something like that. I want to see just what is out there doing this to you.

Marvin

10. Sinker

Sinker Moderator

I can give you an idea of what it's like. Picture me with a bent rod being drug around while my slogan TIGHT LINES, BENT RODS &amp; SCREAMIN' REELS is happening BIG TIME.

My worry is that now that I am breaking out the big guns that I will only end up back to catching these 5 &amp; 6 footers. I want, I NEED to catch one of those big boys even if it is just to see what the heck it is.

11. FISHHEAD

FISHHEAD Well-Known Member

I heard the lockness monster was on a florida vacation.