Haskells Beach(North Goleta)

Discussion in 'West Coast - Saltwater Surf Reports' started by GoletaLocal, Apr 3, 2015.

1. GoletaLocal

GoletaLocal Member

Today at about 4pm at the peak of low tide I went down to my local beach. The water has been a mess recently, lots of loose eelgrass and kelp from the larger swells and wind. I fished a weedless swimbait for about 45 minutes and had enough of the kelp, it wasn't working so I switched over to the typical sand worm carolina rig and was still getting heavy salad but it was a little better. The waves weren't too big 1-2 ft and the wind was under 10 mph. I pulled in a 9-10" bsp which was hooked deep but I pulled it out quickly but very gently and got him back in the water within 30 sec and he swam off strong. The next fish I got my PB 13.5" bsp soon after and went for a quick CPR, I didn't have him out of the water long at all probably 20-40 seconds took the picture and went to release him but wasn't strong enough, I tried to revive him for a few minutes but he couldn't make it, so I decided I would leave at that moment and get home quickly so I wouldn't waste him. This perch wasn't pregnant luckily and I checked the stomach, all super tough crab shells(I know what I'm using for bait next time.) It was a descent couple of hours but was saddened I couldn't revive the fish.

Attached Files:

• bsp.jpg
      bsp.jpg
      File size:
      1.2 MB
      Views:
  2. beacondawg

beacondawg Well-Known Member

3. jmoore

jmoore Well-Known Member

Nice job on the perch. It can be very frustrating when there is so much salad in the water. Thanks for the report.

4. SnickSnack72

SnickSnack72 Well-Known Member

Nice! Shhhhhh.... People don't really know about haskells! I use to love fishing there because it was so peaceful! Then they put the kayak shack. Iv'e done well on halibut there. If you walk down to the pelican briefing area by the phone poles and take a Kayak out there is epic calico and kelp fish fishing there! The trail on the way back is actually an indian burial ground. The Baccara is a gorgeous resort right there too!

5. SnickSnack72

BTW.... If you scoop up some sand crabs and carolina rig them, you will crush perch that way too! I have even put them on a dropper look and fished them similar to a drop shot rig for bass.

6. dudewarner

dudewarner Well-Known Member

Nice Perch - been a lot of crap in the water here to due to wind

7. GoletaLocal

GoletaLocal Member

snick-haha, haskells is so crowded compared to what it once was! so many out of towners and students...Not many fishermen though, the only time I might see another fellow fisherman is on sat/sun. I haven't been able to locate sand crabs recently, believe me I've been looking. Did you catch the halibut by that private pier? What type of technique did you use on them? I lost my one and only lc flash minnow yesterday so I wan't be able to buy one of those expensive things in a while...

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
    #7 GoletaLocal, Apr 14, 2015
  8. SnickSnack72

I throw those 8-12 foot diving crank baits and swimbaits. lucky craft makes a good one! And they bite and big hammer colors redrum, clear w/ red flake and channel islands chovy have been my choices. I have caught more halibut on 3 inch swimbaits than the bigger sizes. I have caught a few shorts there. That pier is ok. I had access to it because my father in law ran the oil and energy division for the city of goleta. the refinery owns the pier. They use it to load the tankers up. It was ok. Tons of bait fish and smelt. I have kayak fished the kelp beds with live bait. That is the only time I have caught halibut there. The perch bite use to be epic there because of all the sand bars and the deep pockets.

9. Gdoggsb

Gdoggsb Member

RE. SHHHHHHHHHHH

We all know about haskels or at least what it used to look like and its too bad that people take so many perch from there. Two or three is good but I've seen some easterners take buckets full. If you use a barbless hook they survive better and you can get the deep hooked fish back unharmed. Cool perch, too bad it didn't make it. How do they taste by the way?

10. GoletaLocal

GoletaLocal Member

snick-I was wading around during low tide the other day...I couldn't believe how many holes and pockets there were! There is a trough that runs parallel to the beach too. I do well on the perch there, I'm a beginner at surf fishing but I have a lot of fun.

gdogg- I like how I said I never see people there...went there this morning and there were 2 guys there...This is the first perch I've kept in a while, it was my first attempted cpr but I've been a lot quicker after this fish. I've only kept perch twice and the other time was a post recently on this board, I prefer to release perch. I'm not sure if I cooked it properly or too long, but it was a little mushy, no fishy taste though, it was solid.

#10 GoletaLocal, Apr 14, 2015