Goleta Beach Surf Fishing Report(3/17/15)

Discussion in 'West Coast - Saltwater Surf Reports' started by GoletaLocal, Mar 18, 2015.

1. GoletaLocal

GoletaLocal Member

This morning(3/17) at about 7 am I headed to east Goleta beach for some surf fishing, It was overcast with low-medium swells with not much current or wind during the top of high tide and beginning to drop. I began working down the beach starting at about 100 yards east of the tip of the parking lot slough area. I picked up 2 BSP 7 inches + I decided to keep and many in the 5-6 inch range I released. I also caught a 15+ Inch Jack Smelt I threw back. At the very end having only two fish in the bucket I hit a great spot that I found with lots of structure, I lost a few set ups but it proved worth it. I caught 2 more BSP one 9 inches. Also I caught a Black Perch(buttermouth?) with blueish scales. Could someone ID it for me? I threw a lot back, including a Walleye perch but the spot with the structure was the most productive spot. All were caught on the 2" camo gulp sandworms carolina rigged. A few times I had some good bites and the worm was completely bitten in half and gone, not sure what they were. I pulled in a short halibut the previous week on the sand worm so it could of also been a short halibut chomping it who knows. Fun couple of hours though, fishing cooled off as the tide dropped more.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
    #1 GoletaLocal, Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  2. beacondawg

beacondawg Well-Known Member

good job brada

3. saba

saba Well-Known Member

That's a buttermouth.