10/22 10/23 @ Lake Cachuma

Discussion in 'Freshwater Reports' started by BlackRifle, Oct 24, 2011.

1. BlackRifle

BlackRifle Well-Known Member

Took the Fiance, friend new to fishing and the dog out to camp/kayak fish Lake Cachuma this weekend. I was lovin' the 80* clear skies with a nice cool breeze. I doubt seriously there are many places like this..

It's been 6 years since ive had my lines wet in freshwater. Always frustrated with wind and weather keeping me just inside the harbors it was AWESOME to get out on the open water and explore.

I fished the >10 ft almost exclusively. The only exception being finding a bait ball and dropped some plastic shad on a split shot in the mix and hooked up with a fighter of a channel cat around 40ish ft down, on a light rig that was fun!

Ive caught many a channel cat in my life but never on something that doesn't smell like butt hole.

Carpfisher asked me to keep an eye out for some carp and i was skeptical i would see any. Boy was I wrong... I've never seen fish that big hang out in the shallows before.

I doubt Kayakers are allowed to land in the camping area but decided it was worth the risk. Took the time to make those "last couple of casts" we all do and hooked up on my only bass worth writing home about right next to the camp site... Took it up to the campsite to show the fiance and have a picture taken with a flash. Let her go to fight another day.

Some tips on finding the timid daytime bass would be very much appreciated!

Here are some pictures of the fish worth noting and some shots of the camping. Enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#1 BlackRifle, Oct 24, 2011 at 9:20 PM
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  2. BlackRifle

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#2 BlackRifle, Oct 24, 2011 at 9:22 PM
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  3. Carnivore

Wow nice pics. I haven't ever seen that lake that flat, that is great.

4. jodi805

jodi805 Well-Known Member

Nice report,thanks!

5. Carpfisher

Carpfisher Well-Known Member

Great report and pics Chris. Were the campgrounds full or did you have the Mohawk area all to yourself. Good job on the catfish!!!
    Did you fiance fish also? I'll meet you there in a few weekends.
    Still working on my bug bug.LOL.

6. sourcreamnjive

sourcreamnjive Well-Known Member

Very beautiful having the lake all to yourselves I see, great job on the big fish! Thanx for sharing!!!:rockon:

7. MrPukaShell

MrPukaShell Well-Known Member

Great pics and report. Thanks for sharing

8. beacondawg

beacondawg Well-Known Member

dam fine report my brada,loved the pic's.sure was beautiful out there.

9. BlackRifle

Thanks everyone for the compliments!

Haha I'm surprised you're not going to be out there at first light on the 27th. The campground was for the most part full on Sat but cleared out on Monday. Most of the pics where taken on Monday, explaining the lack of boats.

Worth noting on the trip while fishing i stumbled on a naked old guy washing cloths and bathing. A dad cleaning the behind of his daughter on the edge of the lake and a couple of younger kids swimming. Lake patrol was out in full force so i was surprised it was such an eventful day.

The fiance did fish for nearly 6 hours before she was uncomfortable and was ready to trade off with our guest. She's a trooper and surprisingly won't ever complain about not wanting to fish if i ask her to join. :notworthy:

10. Big-D

Big-D Well-Known Member

Looked like a great time, thanks for sharing............................................

Big-D and the Dog

11. stubbs

stubbs Well-Known Member

looks really calm out there...nice job